Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Back Window

Back in the day before seatbelt laws, I used to lie in the space just behind the back seat, tucked up beneath the curve of the back window of my mom's car. There between the cool of the glass and the velvety upholstery, I would watch the stars peek at me between dark branches overhead as we drove the meandering tree-lined gravel roads that made their way through the farmland that surrounded us. The ping of an occasional rock being thrown by the tires into the undercarriage of the car completed the almost hypnotic music of the engine and the general rumble that gravel makes under the wheels. On rainy days I watched the streaks of water race down the glass, tendrils of liquid silver. Snow was like a meteor shower. And on some nights, I was chased by the moon. There, in my little sideways V-shaped universe, I was at peace.

One day we were on our way to the nearest small town and I was in my usual spot when someone pulled out in front of my mother forcing her to brake suddenly. I was jettisoned from my dreamy world to the floor of that cavernous old car, first bouncing off the back of the front seats, before landing on the worn carpet of the floor. Blinking and gathering my wits, I heard my mother gasp from the front seat. "Sweetheart, are you alright?"

Alright? I had just been propelled like a human projectile, slammed into the seats with enough force to knock the wind from me, and dumped onto the floor.

I am reminded how life can be like that moment. We are jettisoned from what is known, comfortable, safe and we find ourselves beaten up and wondering what just happened.
Isaiah 51:7 "Hear Me, you who know what is right, you people who have My law in your hearts: Do not fear the reproach of men or be terrified by their insults."
Too often what has knocked the wind from us are the words of others; unexpected negative comments, social snubs (your name didn't make it to the guest list), or lack of approval- when your accomplishments are met with little or no enthusiasm by the ones you love. It is interesting that we are told not to be "terrified by their insults." Terrified. Wow. That seems extreme, but if we are honest with ourselves, we are indeed terrified at times of what people may think or what they might say. Perhaps we should be concerned about getting to know their needs and finding ways to love them; even if that love is not returned.

So, my answer to my mother's question after I had flown through the air like a sack of potatoes? Was I alright? You bet! "Can we do that again?" I chirped from the floor.

I hope you find peace this week and enjoy the view.


No comments:

Post a Comment